- DJ Class
- Compton's Music History
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Compton Turns the Tables?
- Compton Turns the Tables is a series of workshops that will provide young adults, 15 –21 years old, the opportunity to learn the art and science of DJing. In addition you will learn about the history of DJ’ing and knowledge on how to turn DJ skills into a viable career!
- Who is teaching the workshops?
- DJ Lynnée Denise
- Where will the workshops take place?
- Compton Library - 240 W. Compton Blvd., Compton, CA 90220, Telephone: (310) 637-0202
- How much does it cost to participate in Compton Turns the Tables?
- Compton Turns the Tables is free! This program is supported in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian.
- How many workshops will there be?
- There will be ten 2-hour workshops every Friday at 3:30 PM, February 17th - April 21st, 2017.
Workshop Dates: February 17, 24; March 3, 10, 17, 24, 31; April 7, 14, and 21.
- Are there any other commitments?
- Students will be required to attend a one-hour orientation session on Friday, February 3, 2017 at 3:30 PM.
- What happens when the workshops are over?
- As if gaining awesome skills and knowledge about DJing isn’t enough… Students have the opportunity to perform in a community showcase in the City of Compton's civic plaza on May 6, 2017. Students will have the opportunity to perform and show off the skills they learned during the workshops. Professionals in the music industry will be present and provide valuable feedback to students.
- Do I need any experience to apply?
- This workshop is for beginners, no experience is necessary.
- Can I sign up to participate?
- If you are 15 – 21 years old and you apply online between January 3rd and 16th, 2017, then you will be eligible to participate. If you are under 18, you will need permission from your parent/guardian. There are no residency restrictions.
- I'm not 15 – 21 years old. What about me?
- This is a grant-funded program and the grant requires that we have participants that are 15 - 21 years old. We hope that we are able to have more workshops in the future and that the age requirements will be different.
- How do I apply?
- You can apply online at colapublib.org/comptonDJ. The online application will be available January 3rd – January 16th, 2017.
- What happens after that?
- You will receive an email message confirming that we received your application. On January 18th we’ll send you a notification letting you know if you made the student list or are on the waiting list. There will be further instructions in that email, so check your email on January 18th!
- How are students selected?
- Students will be selected from the first 24 eligible applications submitted. Other applicants will be placed on a wait list. In the event that a chosen student is unable or no longer interested in participating in Compton Turns the Tables, the next eligible applicant on the wait list will be selected and notified.
- I don’t have internet access. How can I apply?
- Need help accessing the Internet? Visit any LA County Library location and ask a librarian for help.
- Do I have to go to the orientation?
- Yes. Students are required to attend the orientation, which will be February 3, 2017 at 3:30 PM, in the meeting room of the Compton Library. Due to space limitation, we need to know you will be able to commit to attending the workshops and that you will be able to start learning on February 17th. During the orientation we’ll go over logistics, what to bring, the practice schedule, and answer any other questions.
- Can workshop attendance count towards community service hours?
- Yes, if you attend the orientation session on February 3, 2017 at 3:30 PM; the 10 workshops every Friday at 3:30 PM, February 17th - April 21st; and the performer showcase on Saturday, May 6th, you can earn up to 23 community service hours.
- How many classes do I need to attend?
- If you miss the orientation, or more than two classes, we are going to ask you to wait for another opportunity to participate in the Compton Turns the Tables. This is an awesome opportunity and we need to know that you are just as committed as we are to turning the tables in Compton.
- Do I need my own equipment?
- No. Equipment will be provided for students to learn on. Sorry! You won't be able to take the equipment home, but we are setting up a practice schedule for students to work on their skills in between the Friday workshops.
- Do I need a library card?
No. It is not required, but highly recommended. Having a library card gives you access to library services in any LA County Library location as well as online.
- If I have other questions is there someone I can call?
- Sure! Contact Camille Ray aka DJ Cray Cray, 310-632-6193 or email her at email@example.com.
Compton Turns the Tables was supported in whole or in part by the US Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian.