Let us help you write and publish the next great American novel! Here are some ways writers can publish, format and discover indie books, and learn new writing techniques and skills.
Discover and Read
Discover new authors by exploring self-published eBooks in the "Indie California" collection. The best submitted books, as determined by Library Journal, appear in Library Journal Select Collections. Create a BiblioBoard account to browse and instantly read eBooks.
Submit your eBook
Have you written a book? Local authors can submit their eBook to the library using SELF-e. Online submission is quick and easy. Distribution of the eBook is royalty-free and the license is non-exclusive. If you need help formatting your book, use Pressbooks.
Format your eBook
Pressbooks is an easy-to-use online software that allows authors to create professional quality eBooks and print-ready files in ePUB, MOBI and PDF formats. Free for library customers - sign in with your BiblioBoard account.
Online Classes & More
The resources below are available through our website with your library card number and PIN. Don't know your PIN? Contact your local library.
- Lynda.com offers streaming online instructional videos taught by accomplished teachers and recognized industry experts. You can take an unlimited number of courses with 24/7 access. Start at our site and sign in with your library card number and PIN to begin watching videos.
- Available classes include Writing Fundamentals: The Craft of Story, eBook Publishing Fundamentals, Distributing and Marketing eBooks, and eBook Format and Distribution Options.
- Universal Class
- Universal Class has over 500 online courses taught by real instructors. You can start a class at anytime, and there is no limit to the number of classes you can take. Create an account with a username and password to get started today.
- Available classes include Creative Writing for Beginners, How to Write a Short Story, Novel Writing 101, Writing Women's Fiction, and Romance Writing.
- Gale Courses
- Gale Courses offers a wide range of interactive courses led by expert instructors. Courses run for six weeks and you can take six courses per calendar year with new courses beginning every month. Create an account with your email and a password to get started.
- Available classes include Beginning Writer's Workshop, Advanced Fiction Writing, Writing for Children, Publish and Sell your eBooks, and Beginner's Guide to Getting Published.
- Zinio for Libraries offers over 100 digital magazines - all free with your library card. Create an account on our website to get started.
- Available magazines include The Writer, New York Review of Books, and Tulsa Book Review.